Thursday, October 30, 2008

Weight Loss Tip of the Week - Reading Labels on Snack Bars

"Soontobethin" had a great question in response to my last post. She asked, "With all the bars out their, which ones are the best?" This question inspired me to take a trip to the grocery store ...read some labels...and come up with my top 3. Here they are:
#1 All-in-one
#2 South Beach Living
#3 Kashi-Go Lean
I made my decisions based on sugar content, fat content, quality of ingredients, fiber content, and protein content, in that order.
Power Bars, Zone Bars, and Cliff Bars have so much sugar that they are nothing more than glorified candy bars! They'll spike your blood sugar, cause you to store more calories as fat, and have you craving another candy bar an hour later!
Atkins bars have so much fat and saturated fat that you might as well be eating a steak! I'd rather that steak!
Stay away from any bar that has "high fructose corn syrup" or "hydrogenated oil" anywhere near the top of their ingredient listing! That's the case with Slimfast bars, so stay away!
Fiber and protein are bonuses, if a bar has more than 4 grams of fiber, around 10 grams of protein, not much sugar, and less than 6 grams of fat, I go for it!

2 comments:

- said...

i'm also a big fan of the cliff bar mojo bars (mountain mix is my fav). i totally agree that some of the regular cliff bars are ridiculous but these aren't as bad (2g fiber, 12 sugar, 9 protein) still not ideal but 70% organic, i like supporting them as a company and best taste of any bars i've tried.

Justin "Coach Sweat" Cotter said...

I think you're right. A lot of bars that have historically been loaded with sugar are coming out with different varieties that are healthier. I'll definitely check out those mojo bars. Thanks Ali!