Thursday, May 20, 2010

Customized Group Fitness

You’re probably thinking, “How can group fitness be customized?”
You’ve come to know group fitness as “one-size-fits all” exercise classes where you either “sink or swim.”

When discussing group fitness classes people say things like, “That was a good workout, I was really sore the next day!”

In my opinion, there is more to an effective group fitness class than making sure everybody leaves the room tired….not only that, I believe that it is possible to customize group fitness programs to every participant in the group….assuming they are all healthy enough to be exercising in the first place. In fact, I do this with every one of my own group fitness classes. I do this by implementing an effective assessments, modifications, and progressions.

Assessment

Everyone’s body is different, and almost everybody has muscle imbalances. This goes for couch potatoes, and it goes for competitive athletes. If you begin a rigorous exercise program without correcting these imbalances, you will only make them worse. That’s why I always begin a session with a “corrective exercise movement assessment.” My favorite is the overhead squat test. By having each participant do a few squats with their arms over their heads, I can see which muscles are “overactive” and need to be stretched as well as which muscles are “underactive” and need to be strengthened. I believe that the 5 minutes we spend doing this assessment is the most important 5 minutes of my entire program! That way, each participant gets their own-personalized warm-up routine specifically designed for their unique body.

Modifications

My classes consist of participants who haven’t exercised in years, and participants who have been in my class for the past 3 seasons. Yet they all get workouts that are perfectly suited for their ability levels. This is because every exercise we do has modifications. Take the classic pushup for example. It’s still one of the best exercises for arm, chest, and core strength and stabilization. Some people in my classes cannot do a full pushup while others can do over a hundred. That’s OK. If you can’t do a pushup, you can do modified pushups, on your knees or using the wall. On the other hand, if pushups are easy for you, try one of my “off center pushups.” They will have your arms and chest burning in 30 seconds flat…guaranteed!

Progressive Program

It is important that a group exercise program builds on itself. For example, I like to do full-body, explosive exercises. They get your heart pounding , build muscle, burn a ton of calories, and make you look like a swimsuit model (whether your male or female). That being said, I would never encourage a new participant to do one of these exercises. It would not only be discouraging, but dangerous! It is important to first build a strong foundation, by developing balance, posture, core strength, and training your body to activate the correct muscle groups.

So there you have it…the secrets to customized group exercise. It’s not all about getting the hardest workout; it’s about getting the best workout….for your particular body!

No comments: